Pages

[ubuntu] Copying files between NFS folders from Ubuntu Client

dimanche 24 juillet 2016

I have a folder share from my Synology NAS server that was mounted as a NFS folder on my Ubuntu MATE client.
I think I lost some files while moving files from one folder in that mounted path to another folder inside that same mounted path.

The scenario is like this:

  • I started to copy some photos that I've taken from one folder inside this mounted share to another all while using Caja.
  • What I noticed was that Caja didn't show file copy progress even when I did several folders at once.
  • The folders appear right away to the new location and since these were just in JPEG format I figured it was a fast transfer and was done.
  • However when I open the folder not all the files are there.. Eventually for most of the folders, the JPEGs and RAW appeared.
  • I also want to mention that I started renaming the folders to match the date the grouped photos were taken.

Afterwards I noticed one folder has 0 files contained inside.
Performing in a terminal: "ls -l" also shows nothing inside the new folder. When I look at the old location, the folder is no longer there (it was moved from that location).

So I think I lost files inside the folder during this transfer and renaming. I'm 99% sure, not 100% because I didn't have a backup.
Afterwards I made sure to backup all my family photos to ensure nothing else like this happens in the future.

My questions are:

  • Is there anyway possible I can recover the folder?
  • How can I modify CAJA to show file progress (would be handy in the future)..
  • Are there any logs I can look for to see if the folder had contained and lost some files?
  • Should I stick to terminal for file transfer in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



[ubuntu] Copying files between NFS folders from Ubuntu Client

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire