Pages

[all variants] Mounting second drive as folder under /home...

samedi 23 juillet 2016

Hello everyone.

Posting here in hopes I can get some assistance, or maybe a nod in the correct direction.

I'm moving over to Linux from Windows, and am looking to recreate my Windows setup on Linux.

My current setup on Windows is:
C:\ - 128GB SSD -- Contains OS and any apps/games that I want to take advantage of the SSD's read/write speed.
E:\ - 1TB HDD -- Contains other apps/games, as well as data and other stuff.

Now, of course, because Windows basically "doesn't care" where you install stuff (for the most part), that setup "just works".

My understanding, however, is that things are a bit different in Linux land, and that where software is installed does matter. To my understanding, it has to be under the /home partition, and there can only be one of them.

The conundrum I'm faced with is:
If I put /home on the SSD, I'm limiting myself to ~100GB for apps/games.
If I put /home on the HDD, I'm wasting all that high-speed space on the SSD.

I'm trying to find a setup where I needn't choose "one or the other", but can "have my cake and eat it, too".

In my searching, I found a post discussing how you can mount a drive as a folder under /home. So, as I understand it, I could basically mount my HDD as /1TBDrive, or something like that, giving me /home/1TBDrive.

Now, my question is, would that effectively be recognized as part of the /home partition as far as Linux is concerned? Could I then use that space (in 1TBDrive) to install apps and games and such, and Linux will recognize and run them without issue?

If so, then my problem is solved, and I know there's a fstab command that has to be edited in to do that (again, per my searches).

However, I might well be barking completely up the wrong tree here. If so, please let me know. Perhaps, point me in the direction of a setup that would accomplish what I'm trying to do.

I'm sure there's a way, I'm just not quite familiar enough with Linux, yet, to know what it is.

Thanks in advance for your time and help! Much appreciated.

~Mike

Let's block ads! (Why?)



[all variants] Mounting second drive as folder under /home...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire