Pages

Install KDE in minimal install

mardi 19 juillet 2016

As per the title.

Been diddling about with Virtualbox and that's all good. Was looking at a live session of Kubuntu in VBox last night, just for the heck of it and out of curiousity, when I had a thought. Being a minimal install/Xubuntu-core person, wonder how you'd install a minimal install and add KDE, the Kubuntu desktop environment? This has nothing to do with VBox, don't need help with that, so to avoid confusion best to forget about that aspect of this thread. It is solely about installing KDE in a mini.iso install.

So, started digging and all very confusing. I can't see that there's a way that will just install the KDE DE in any way similar to how you might install lxde or xfce4, for instance by using 'sudo apt install xfce4' or installing xfce4 from a package manager ... its that simple. Is there a way to install just the KDE DE that is that quick and simple or is there something hidden in a Kubuntu repo I haven't discovered yet or have overlooked?

My intention was to install the mini.iso as a virtual machine, then add what I want, in this case, KDE and a few apps. Although I know a few essential Kubuntu bits and pieces are unavoidable (install xfce4 and you get Thunar and some other bits and pieces also), I am not interested in installing the full suite of default Kubuntu apps (just like I'm not interested in installing the full default suite of Xubuntu apps, which is why I use xfce4 only, not a regular Xubuntu). Don't know anything about them and not interested in using them.

Hopes are fading. All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Install KDE in minimal install

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire