Pages

I'm surprised how differently I use Mac OS X, Win10 and Ununtu 16.04

mardi 19 juillet 2016

No problems... just a chatty observation.

For many years, I've had a triple boot MacBookPro. I'd say I spend half the time in Mac, 40% in Linux and 10% in Windows (though with 10, I've been spending more time to learn the OS.)

The reason the Mac is preferred is because I'm an audio professional/instructor and I use Pro Tools.

Through most of the 90s, I'd say Mac held the lead for visual customization. Perhaps there were more artists on the platform and the tools were better. Now though, I'm hugely disappointed by the lack of options on the Mac. Finding a decent icon set is just about impossible. People have given up on creating Themes and Apple hasn't helped matters by locking down the OS more and more with each release..

But under Ubuntu, and Linux in general, I have many more beautiful window styles, icons, and I love my rotating Compiz cube.

I use the OSes differently too.

Under Mac, I generally have one desktop and rotate through apps.

In Linux, I have a 4x1 desktop and place related apps on various desktops. Hence the rotating cube!

I feel I have more 'fun' in Linux. Every day there are updates that bring better stability, new features and surprises.

On all my OSes I use as much OSS as possible: Firefox (with Sync), Chrome, Thunderbird, Lightning, Tomahawk, etc. (Fortunately, the iPhone is just as happy to sync with Google Contacts and Calendars as Apple's iCloud).

My 17" MacBookPro is 6 years old and I don't feel Apple has made a decent replacement for running Pro Tools, so when it finally dies, I'll probably buy Wintel. At that time, Linux will become by primary OS and I'll boot Windows when I need ProTools. Who knows, maybe I'll have a Hackintosh partition for ol' Times Sake.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



I'm surprised how differently I use Mac OS X, Win10 and Ununtu 16.04

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire