Pages

Looking for guidance creating a DNS Server

vendredi 5 août 2016

Hello Community,

I am new to LINUX and I'm trying to get an understanding of it and what I want it to do for me. I've been reading several forums and watching YouTube videos regarding DNS, but I'm having trouble grasping it. I feel it might be that LINUX is a bit of a learning curve; and the fact that these DNS guides leave out information that a typical LINUX user would know. I'm not looking for someone to "hand-hold me", but looking for guidance and help with that I want to do.

So, my overall task is to host my own web server. Instead of paying someone for a DNS name (example, curlyphome.com), I figured I would setup my own DNS server. Now, I know there are free DNS places like NoIP, but I don't want a name with their extension, ex., curlyphome.getsmile.com

First thing I did was create a LINUX VM using the ubuntu 16.04.1 server distro. I installed apache2 for the web service, PHP, and MySQL. I then installed bind9 using the following command: sudo apt-get install bind9. After that, i'm kind of lost. The four to five guides I have read show different steps and are not in sync. A couple other parts of the setup that I don't fully understand is the /etc/network/interfaces and the /etc/hosts. Some of the guides configure the /etc/network/interfaces and the /etc/hosts differently, while some make changes to the /etc/hosts.

If I could get some guidance and help, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all in advance!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Looking for guidance creating a DNS Server

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire