Pages

Issues upgrading Kernel

lundi 1 août 2016

I was running 14.04.1 LTS server successfully for a couple years and recently performed an upgrade to Xenial, 16.04.1 LTS.

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but the upgrade failed half way through, but 16.04.1 appears to be installed, but I'm running the old kernel.

Code:

david@FREYJA:~$ uname -r
3.19.0-64-generic
david@FREYJA:~$
At first, when booting, the server would fail to boot each time. I've attempted to uninstall the Kernel and reinstall again with different versions, but each time the server does not boot. My latest attempt was with 4.04.0-31.

First I removed the other kernels and attempted a fresh install of the kernel I'm attempting to boot.

Code:

david@FREYJA:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-4.4.0-31 linux-headers-4.4.0-31-generic linux-image-4.4.0-31-generic --fix-missing
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
linux-headers-4.4.0-31 is already the newest version (4.4.0-31.50).
linux-headers-4.4.0-31 set to manually installed.
linux-headers-4.4.0-31-generic is already the newest version (4.4.0-31.50).
linux-headers-4.4.0-31-generic set to manually installed.
Suggested packages:
  fdutils linux-doc-4.4.0 | linux-source-4.4.0 linux-tools
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  linux-image-4.4.0-31-generic
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/18.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 55.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.4.0-31-generic.
(Reading database ... 204256 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-4.4.0-31-generic_4.4.0-31.50_amd64.deb ...
Done.
Unpacking linux-image-4.4.0-31-generic (4.4.0-31.50) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.4.0-31-generic (4.4.0-31.50) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.4.0-31-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 4.4.0-31-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic
Error! Could not locate dkms.conf file.
File:  does not exist.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.0-31-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-31-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 4.4.0-31-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/unattended-upgrades 4.4.0-31-generic/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 4.4.0-31-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 4.4.0-31-generic /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-31-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-64-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.19.0-64-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.elf
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
done
I looked online at the Error I received above and it's an issue with dkms. I guess this is a problem for another day.

Code:

david@FREYJA:~$ dkms status
iser, 1.8.0, 3.19.0-64-generic, x86_64: installedError! Could not locate dkms.conf file.
File:  does not exist.
Anyway, my server is in use right now and I'll perform a reboot and attempt to boot up ASAP, but my first question is: is there a dump created when there is a boot failure? If so, where is it? I think my main issue is that I don't know where to look to begin troubleshooting why the server won't boot with the new kernel.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Issues upgrading Kernel

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire