Tonight I got a popup on my machines that says:
WARNING: Security updates for your current Hardware Enablement Stack ended on 2016–08–04:
* http://ift.tt/2b31ycj
I thought 14.04 was supported for five years, and it looks like this is trying to force me to upgrade to 16.04 or else not get kernel security update. I DO NOT wish to upgrade to 16.04 at this time for a couple of reasons, first I have seen too many reports of people having problems after an upgrade, but more important I am running an older version of Kodi and I do NOT want to be forced to upgrade that because it has some bugs I don't want to deal with.
I really don't understand what the link above is telling me but it sure looks like Ubuntu is for all intents and purposes abandoning a LTS version after only two years and a few months. AND doing so with no advance warning at all. This really sucks in my opinion.
Am I missing something? Is there a way to stay with 14.04 and continue to receive security updates? I don't care about getting newer kernel versions necessarily, but what's the point of having an LTS release that's supposed to be supported for five years if you stop offering security updates after two years? I might be willing to install 16.04 in another year or so (I generally never install the first version of a Ubuntu LTS release anyway) but first I want to wait for Kodi to release a new version that doesn't have the bugs of Jarvis (the current version) in it. And, I'd rather not be forced to do ii in a big all-fired hurry because you decided to end support with no advance warning (in fact the warning came two weeks AFTER the updates ended, according to the popup message).
THIS REALLY SUCKS IN MY OPINION!!! Either there should be a way to just update the "Hardware Enablement Stack", whatever that is, or you should stop telling users that LTS versions will be supported for five years. And if there IS a way to just update the "Hardware Enablement Stack" then your link above should clearly offer that as an option. I hope I am just missing something here, and that you are not effectively forcing user to upgrade 14.04 now or run an insecure system.
I thought 14.04 was supported for 5 years so why am I getting HWE stack message?
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire